17-23 SMC

This area is for the discussion of current or future projects/ custom rifle builds, as well as reamer prints.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Small Caliber Club forum. Please understand that the following information has been added in the best interest of the forum, our sole intention by adding this information is to keep the forum running smoothly. We ask that each member please read and agree to the following list of forum rules prior to posting. Failure to follow the rules may cause your membership privileges to be suspended for a period of time or revoked if a problem persists. Obviously we would prefer not to have to discipline anyone so we ask that everyone please adhere to the following basic guidelines/rules.

1. This forum is for the sharing of information on all things related to the small calibers, and everyone is welcome to join.
2. We will not tolerate behavior that is deemed by the forum management to be disrespectful, antagonistic, bullying, and or negative towards any forum members.
3. Individuals are only allowed to use this forum for their personal use, if you would like to use the forum for commercial/business advertising purposes you must contact the forum management for permission prior to posting.
4. We DO NOT allow posts that suggest starting a revolution, starting an uprising against the government, or any similar type of statements.
5. For Sale Ads: Posting negative comments about another members item for sale or its price is NOT ALLOWED.

* This list is not complete and more rules may be added over time as needed to keep the forum running smoothly.

Site Admin.

17-23 SMC

Postby CRT » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:00 pm

Are any of you familiar with the 17-23 SMC ?
For American Made Reloading Tools, Accessories, and related supplies please visit our website at: http://www.customreloadingtools.com
Custom Reloading Tools LLC
sales@customreloadingtools.com
CRT
Forum Sponsor

Re: 17-23 SMC

Postby RedMist » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Yep, got one. It's an improved 17FB case with a parabolic shoulder and still maintains the neck length. I can get 4177fps ( probably a little more) with a 25gr bullet out of my 23" barrel. Outperforms the 17FB by a decent margin and mine has reduced fouling due to the shoulder shape. The premise is, that the burn occurs more in the case and not in the barrel, so heating and fouling are reduced, along with more consistency due to a more uniform pressure curve from shot to shot.

A bonus is that the cases don't need to be trimmed. The shape keeps the brass from flowing and lengthening versus the regular 17FB with the angled shoulder. I will report more when I get back from my upcoming PD trip.

More info can be found at www.superiorballistics.com.

Hope this helps.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "
RedMist
Super Global Moderator ( Forum Founding Member)

Postby RedMist » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Some recent results of the 17/23 SMc. 25gr Vmax, this dog was shot at 300+yds. Still lots of killing power.

Took this pic to show the 17FB brass and the resulting fire-formed case. FF loads are very accurate also, shot PD's to 380yds with it today. It's a CZ action with a Pacnor #3 barrel, so not a real " bench " gun, but it's a hammer!!
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "
RedMist

Postby Waskawood » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Can one use 20VT brass necked down to fireform this cartridge?
Waska
My fishing spots are so secretive that even the fish can't find them.
Waskawood

Postby RedMist » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:13 pm

That might work Waska. The neck may end up being a little short though...not sure. I fire-form mine from 17FB virgin brass. We can find out.
RedMist

Postby Morefps » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:09 am

Last edited by Morefps on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morefps

Postby Gary in Illinois » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:31 am

Barry,

Where did you get the reamer and dies? Who did the chambering? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

Gary
Good shooting!

Gary

NRA Life Member
Gary in Illinois

Postby RedMist » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:06 am

Gary,

I got the gun used as a 17 MachIV. I figured it would be the perfect time to try the 17/23 SMc. I sent it out to Mic and he re-chambered it for me, he has die sets also. It's a HUGE improvement over the 17FB, which is no slouch at all....my experience has been less powder fouling, more performance and less case work( trimming etc).

The little extra capacity and the updated shoulder allow you to push a 25gr bullet a little faster than a 17FB can push a 20gr'er. The 25's in the 17 cal have much better BC and hit with more authority, IMO.

I think that's what I will do with one of the barrels from the group buy. Build a heavy bench model to fit between my 17VHA and the 5/35. John at H-G was looking to get some SMc reamers. Not sure if he has then yet, but would be worth a call. Few guys here might go in on one, PTG has the prints....keep my advised.
RedMist

Postby RedMist » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:17 am

17FB case on the left and after fire-forming in the 17/23 SMc chamber on the right.

Morefps, this or the 5/35 would be very fitting for your user name. :mrgreen:

I'm starting to think about a straight pipe, 26" heavy setup !! Might be able to get 4200fps with a 25gr. 8-)
RedMist

Postby Gary in Illinois » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks Barry. I just sent Mic an email about the 17/23SMc.
Good shooting!

Gary

NRA Life Member
Gary in Illinois

Next

Return to Custom Rifle Builds & Reamer Prints