17 VHA

This forum is dedicated to all things relating to 22,20,19,18,17,& 14 calibers
Forum rules
Welcome to the Small Caliber Club forum. Please understand that the following information has been added in the best interest of the forum, our sole intention by adding this information is to keep the forum running smoothly. We ask that each member please read and agree to the following list of forum rules prior to posting. Failure to follow the rules may cause your membership privileges to be suspended for a period of time or revoked if a problem persists. Obviously we would prefer not to have to discipline anyone so we ask that everyone please adhere to the following basic guidelines/rules.

1. This forum is for the sharing of information on all things related to the small calibers, and everyone is welcome to join.
2. We will not tolerate behavior that is deemed by the forum management to be disrespectful, antagonistic, bullying, and or negative towards any forum members.
3. Individuals are only allowed to use this forum for their personal use, if you would like to use the forum for commercial/business advertising purposes you must contact the forum management for permission prior to posting.
4. We DO NOT allow posts that suggest starting a revolution, starting an uprising against the government, or any similar type of statements.
5. For Sale Ads: Posting negative comments about another members item for sale or its price is NOT ALLOWED.
6. Each member is allowed to have one username only. Any member caught with a spoof username will be removed permanently and without notice.

* This list is not complete and more rules may be added over time as needed to keep the forum running smoothly.

Site Admin.
CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Re: 17 VHA

Postby CRT » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:35 pm

The performance of this cartridge is impressive, I will most likely end up building one of them.

Hutch

Postby Hutch » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:38 am

Where there any mods needed to the PTG 5.7 bolt???
I'm thinkin no, but! i've had a few wrong thoughts in my head before....lol

Hutch

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:01 am

Hutch, not really. I had a Sako extractor put on mine. Works very well.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Hutch

Postby Hutch » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:11 pm

does it not come with the sako extractor, or is it the m16 extractor???

Hutch

Waskawood

Postby Waskawood » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:08 am

Barry,
How much effort did you put into case preperation for your 17VHA? Did you do anything with the primer pockets and flash holes?
Waska
My fishing spots are so secretive that even the fish can't find them.

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:51 am

The once-fired military brass I had needed a lot of TLC. I had to neck turn to clean them up, swage the primer pockets because the were staked, etc......the good stuff available now, that you have, I don't think it needs much. I would do 20 and leave 20 alone and then see if you can see any difference when you get up and running. I weighed 20 cases yesterday and they were all within .3 grains. Think we should be OK.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Waskawood

Postby Waskawood » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:40 am

Redmist,

Have you found an ammo box that fits the 17VHA to your liking?
Waska

CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Postby CRT » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:08 pm

If anyone is interested in building one of the 17 VHA's let me know. Redding is now making die sets for the 17 VHA, they offer a 2 die set and a deluxe die set and we have access to both. We will be checking on wednesday to see if they offer a Type S die.

CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Postby CRT » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Update:

Spoke with Redding today and they will custom make a Type S Full Length bushing die for the 17 VHA. Price will be approximately $150 each. Please email us if you would like one: sales@customreloadingtools.com
Last edited by CRT on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waskawood

Postby Waskawood » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:51 pm

How about a shell holder.
Waska

Return to “Small Calibers, Custom Rifle Builds, & Reamer Prints”